Bongiovi Acoustics Legacy Forums
This is our legacy forum! Please visit http://www.dpsinsider.com for current news and discussions. Thanks!
This is our legacy forum! Please visit http://www.dpsinsider.com for current news and discussions. Thanks!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This forum is maintained to preserve the vibrant discussions of the JVC KD-S100

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
The DPS Plug-In for iTunes (mac only) is now available! Visit www.dpsplugin.com for more details...
Thanks for your interest in our forums! We have just launched our new forum page at http://www.dpsinsider.com All new questions and conversations will be routed there. When registering, please be sure to check your junk mail folder for your confirmation email. Thanks! The BA Team

KD-S100 Profile Announcement!!!!

Go down 
+7
Storm
HIFI HEAD
RCopt
sailhobie
xaqmusic
passats100
rob
11 posters
AuthorMessage
rob
Admin
rob

KD-S100 Profile Announcement!!!! Empty
PostSubject: KD-S100 Profile Announcement!!!!   KD-S100 Profile Announcement!!!! Icon_minitimeWed Aug 26, 2009 3:48 pm

Coming Soon from Bongiovi Acoustics:

Tuning Profile variations based on the “Universal Tuning Profile” which is currently supplied with KD-S100 purchases from www.crutchfield.com.
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_105KDS100/JVC-KD-S100.html?c=3

Due to popular inquiry, Bongiovi Acoustics Engineers will devise an alternative tuning profile program to further satisfy specific listening tastes of KD-S100 customers.

These additional KD-S100 tuning profiles will be made available online at: www.bongioviacoustics.com/kds100beta
This is a BETA program that will be maintained & monitored through our forums and message-boards, by its members only. These profiles will be made available only through Bongiovi Acoustics Digital Power Station, (DPS) communities. Information will soon be provided as to how to obtain access to these profiles. In the meantime, register yourself on our forum at: http://ibongiovi.omgforum.net and become a part of the DPS community where you will find updated information.

Currently, all KD-S100 purchases from www.crutchfield.com are supplied with a “Universal Tuning Profile CD” that the customer loads into their KD-S100. Bongovi Acoustics engineers have analyzed hundreds of vehicles to develop this Universal Tuning Profile that is “optimized” for all automotive use. When the Bongiovi ‘B-Button” is engaged, your car’s audio system is instantly transformed into a high-quality, high- energy audio system that sounds like you’ve added a subwoofer.

Recently, there have been numerous customer requests for vehicle specific tunings. For this reason, Bongiovi Acoustics engineers are developing a “Beta Program” to develop additional tunings. These profiles will be variations of the Universal Profile Algorithm.

Our engineers will post messages that follow the process of developing these tuning profiles. A “live” Twitter feed will be posted to our forum & websites where community members will be able to view these “live” Tweets. Also the Tweets will be available to our “followers” at www.Twitter.com/Bongiovi_DPS. (Must have a “Twitter” account and become a “follower” of “Bongiovi_DPS.”)

Please check back frequently for updates as to when this exciting phenomenon will be released. Message boards will host all scheduling information for the tuning sessions. Join us “LIVE” In-Session and have opportunity to interact directly with Bongiovi Acoustics engineers.

The Digital Power Station, (DPS) is a “Core Algorithm” that is ubiquitous to all DPS enabled products.

The patented Digital Power Station “DPS” technology, was created by Tony Bongiovi, critically acclaimed engineer and record producer for Bongiovi Acoustics. The DPS represents a groundbreaking way to bring studio quality sound to mass-marketed consumer electronics. The proprietary technology overcomes the existing audio system inefficiencies typically existing in any environment. The DPS breaks down the source material and rebuilds the audio signal in real time for playback in a specific environment by utilizing a series of patented software algorithms that extend frequency response and optimize component performance. It takes into consideration all of the existing audio system’s inefficiencies, including speaker design and acoustic environment and maximizes the frequencies that the system can reproduce. This produces significant sonic improvements even with inexpensive car audio systems, resulting in an audio fidelity level typically only found in more expensive systems.

For more information on Bongiovi Acoustics DPS enabled products, visit: www.bongioviacoustics.com

Related: http://www.engadget.com/2009/05/14/ihome-ip1-isnt-bad-for-an-ipod-dock-packs-a-bongiovi-punch/
iHome: www.ihomeaudio.com/ip1
Digital Power Station, JVC Mobile: http://www.mobile.jvc.com/product.jsp?productId=PRD3201300&pathId=54
DPS iTunes Plug-In, new from Bongiovi Acoustics: www.OpenUrEars.com, http://ibongiovi.omgforum.net
Playboy Magazine-HighTech-HiFi: http://www.playboy.com/articles/ipod-docks-hi-fi-gadget-review/index.html
Back to top Go down
passats100

PostSubject: Re: KD-S100 Profile Announcement!!!!   KD-S100 Profile Announcement!!!! Icon_minitimeWed Aug 26, 2009 4:57 pm

I'm glad to see this announcement, and I only hope that the profiles get released soon. I just installed the KD-S100 in my '03 Passat this weekend to replace my factory model. I liked the sound quality of the factory unit, but I liked the features on the KD-S100 and was sold by all the rave reviews about the sound. I seem to be in the small minority that has issues with the sound. All I can hear are the midrange frequencies no matter how I adjust the settings. My only hope is that an alternate profile will save this for me, otherwise I'll need to return it to Crutchfield within my 30 day window.

Without knowing much about the technical details, it just seems that there must be some cars whose acoustics deviate too far from the average/universal profile, which results in something like the 90% positive reviews vs. 10% negative reviews that I'm finding regarding the sound.

I would much rather spend my time experimenting with beta sound profiles for the unit than spending the time to remove it and reinstall my factory unit, so I hope to see these soon.
Back to top Go down
xaqmusic
Admin
xaqmusic

PostSubject: Re: KD-S100 Profile Announcement!!!!   KD-S100 Profile Announcement!!!! Icon_minitimeWed Aug 26, 2009 5:14 pm

FYI I'll be twittering our progress. Just follow @bongiovi_dps cyclops
Back to top Go down
http://dpsinsider.com
sailhobie

PostSubject: looking for a highlander profile   KD-S100 Profile Announcement!!!! Icon_minitimeThu Aug 27, 2009 3:52 am

or even better a program to let the users adjust the settings!
Back to top Go down
RCopt
Admin
RCopt

PostSubject: Re: KD-S100 Profile Announcement!!!!   KD-S100 Profile Announcement!!!! Icon_minitimeThu Aug 27, 2009 6:23 pm

sailhobie wrote:
or even better a program to let the users adjust the settings!

The KD-S100 contains a treble and bass control to help tailor the universal profile to your system.

Creating a tuning for the KD-S100 is an incredibly involved process which has taken Bongiovi engineers years to develop and prefect. It requires both proprietary hardware and software, and involves well over 120 points of adjustment. It involves custom designed algorithms that are quite different (literally!... this isn't marketing speak) from anything else that currently exists in any commercially available product other than those containing the Bongiovi Acoustics DPS technology (the iHome IP1 for example).

At any rate. The availability of additional profiles should make it very easy for owners to find something that suits their taste. As professionals in the music industry, we all understand very well how subjective "good sound" is and that everybody has their own tastes and opinions. Our goal truly is to provide an ideal listening experience for all users of every taste.
Back to top Go down
HIFI HEAD

PostSubject: Re: KD-S100 Profile Announcement!!!!   KD-S100 Profile Announcement!!!! Icon_minitimeFri Aug 28, 2009 5:22 pm

This is great news. Can you in the meantime post the original factory JVC profile. I updated my unit and feel the JVC factory profile sounded better. I would think this profile is already compiled.
Back to top Go down
Storm

PostSubject: Re: KD-S100 Profile Announcement!!!!   KD-S100 Profile Announcement!!!! Icon_minitimeFri Aug 28, 2009 7:27 pm

Personally, the bass and treble adjustments don't seem to do as much as you would expect. I would say this more for the treble though. I turned the bass all the way down as my sub handles most of that but even with the treble down a good amount it still seems too harsh for my ears. Does it apply these before or after the DPS?

Does the DPS change the pre-amp outputs or just the audio that is fed to the internal amp?

The ideas behind this chip remind me a lot of the JBL MS-8 that seems forever in the making, just without the whole microphone setup. Very similar idea in my mind, but this way is cheaper by having the setups designed on your end as opposed to our end.

I'm not complaining or anything of the sort. Just giving some input.

Thanks for starting this little community for this btw. You have to love it when a company takes an interest in the community. Hopefully it will take off and become a popular choice in home/car audio.
Back to top Go down
RCopt
Admin
RCopt

PostSubject: Re: KD-S100 Profile Announcement!!!!   KD-S100 Profile Announcement!!!! Icon_minitimeFri Aug 28, 2009 7:59 pm

HIFI HEAD wrote:
This is great news. Can you in the meantime post the original factory JVC profile. I updated my unit and feel the JVC factory profile sounded better. I would think this profile is already compiled.

I spoke with XAQ, and he said that the JVC factory default profile and the Bongiovi universal profile that comes with the radio will be available along with any new profiles. I'm not entirely sure of an ETA on when any of these will be available, but there should be a post coming as soon as we know.
Back to top Go down
RCopt
Admin
RCopt

PostSubject: Re: KD-S100 Profile Announcement!!!!   KD-S100 Profile Announcement!!!! Icon_minitimeFri Aug 28, 2009 8:12 pm

Storm wrote:
Does it apply these before or after the DPS?

The bass and treble controls happen after the DPS processing.

Storm wrote:

Does the DPS change the pre-amp outputs or just the audio that is fed to the internal amp?

EDIT: The subwoofer output is not processed. The line outputs, however, are DPS processed.

Storm wrote:

Thanks for starting this little community for this btw. You have to love it when a company takes an interest in the community. Hopefully it will take off and become a popular choice in home/car audio.

Thank you for the input and for the kind words. Very Happy Our community involvement is of the utmost importance. As I stated previously, we understand that what "sounds good" is a matter of personal preference. What one person loves, another may hate. That's why the DPS technology is so open and flexible. It allows us to get feedback from users of different tastes and customize the listening experience.
Back to top Go down
RCopt
Admin
RCopt

PostSubject: Re: KD-S100 Profile Announcement!!!!   KD-S100 Profile Announcement!!!! Icon_minitimeSun Aug 30, 2009 1:36 am

RCopt wrote:
The subwoofer output is not processed. The line outputs, however, are DPS processed.
Back to top Go down
country_3030

country_3030

PostSubject: Re: KD-S100 Profile Announcement!!!!   KD-S100 Profile Announcement!!!! Icon_minitimeSun Aug 30, 2009 2:45 am

That is cool since you could tune your amp to your preference. However, will the profiles available be sorted by what type of vehicle they are for example: regular cab truck, sedan, coupe, van, etc. or just more generic profiles?
Back to top Go down
Storm

PostSubject: Re: KD-S100 Profile Announcement!!!!   KD-S100 Profile Announcement!!!! Icon_minitimeSun Aug 30, 2009 2:37 pm

I was personally hoping for style of speaker and location maybe being the base options, then adjustments for sound preference after that. I guess we will just have to wait and see how they attack this.

Thanks for the info on the line outputs.
Back to top Go down
country_3030

country_3030

PostSubject: Re: KD-S100 Profile Announcement!!!!   KD-S100 Profile Announcement!!!! Icon_minitimeTue Sep 01, 2009 3:16 am

You know I would even be willing to pay for a custom profile or say one tuned for my type of vehicle. However, a computer based DPS tuning interface for the user would be awesome!! cheers
Back to top Go down
RCopt
Admin
RCopt

PostSubject: Re: KD-S100 Profile Announcement!!!!   KD-S100 Profile Announcement!!!! Icon_minitimeTue Sep 01, 2009 6:16 pm

country_3030 wrote:
However, will the profiles available be sorted by what type of vehicle they are for example: regular cab truck, sedan, coupe, van, etc. or just more generic profiles?

country_3030 wrote:
You know I would even be willing to pay for a custom profile or say one tuned for my type of vehicle.

More information on the types of profiles that will be available will be given as we get closer to releasing them. Just watch this forum to receive email notifications and/or follow our twitter account at: http://www.Twitter.com/Bongiovi_DPS
Back to top Go down
xaqmusic
Admin
xaqmusic

PostSubject: Tuning session schedule   KD-S100 Profile Announcement!!!! Icon_minitimeThu Sep 03, 2009 4:23 pm

Hi everyone,
We will be conducting a tuning session for the Universal Profile variations tomorrow! Here is a rough itinerary for Friday, September 4th:

1) 9am greeting and setup.
2) 10am set up complete.
3) 10am-11am listening and calibration
4) 11am-1pm tune sub woofer profiles
5) 1pm-2pm lunch break
6) 2pm-4pm session 2 for fine tuning the variations
7) 4pm-5pm post the results online.

Myself or Ryan will be available for chat via this forum. Also, be sure to follow our twitter feed bongiovi_dps

afro
Joe
Back to top Go down
RCopt
Admin
RCopt

PostSubject: Re: KD-S100 Profile Announcement!!!!   KD-S100 Profile Announcement!!!! Icon_minitimeFri Sep 04, 2009 2:28 pm

A new thread has been started here: http://ibongiovi.omgforum.net/jvc-kd-s100-car-audio-system-f3/profile-variations-tuning-session-09-04-09-t24.htm to give real time updates about our tuning session for the KD-S100 profile variations.
Back to top Go down
Danny West

PostSubject: kd-s100 new profile variations   KD-S100 Profile Announcement!!!! Icon_minitimeSun Sep 06, 2009 4:11 am

cheers How can I get the 2 new variations that some have tried and had improvements with the bass and the highs for their kd-s100 systems. thanks.

UPDATE: received the new profiles and tried them all in my 1997 grand caravan with stock speakers. Dps Var 02, 03, and 01 all sound great in that order of preference. The bass is significantly enhanced and the highs are softened. Amazing sound from stock speakers. Thanks Bongiovi and all involved. This is a killer system. I look forward to even more profiles. They load in so easily and quickly, you can alternate between profiles depending upon the style of music you are listening to.
Back to top Go down
RCopt
Admin
RCopt

PostSubject: Re: KD-S100 Profile Announcement!!!!   KD-S100 Profile Announcement!!!! Icon_minitimeTue Sep 08, 2009 4:31 pm

Danny West wrote:
cheers How can I get the 2 new variations that some have tried and had improvements with the bass and the highs for their kd-s100 systems. thanks.

UPDATE: received the new profiles and tried them all in my 1997 grand caravan with stock speakers. Dps Var 02, 03, and 01 all sound great in that order of preference. The bass is significantly enhanced and the highs are softened. Amazing sound from stock speakers. Thanks Bongiovi and all involved. This is a killer system. I look forward to even more profiles. They load in so easily and quickly, you can alternate between profiles depending upon the style of music you are listening to.

I think that I speak for everyone at Bongiovi Acoustics when I say that we're thrilled that you're happy with your KD-S100 and the new variations! Your feedback is appreciated. cheers
Back to top Go down
fred27tt

fred27tt

PostSubject: Re: KD-S100 Profile Announcement!!!!   KD-S100 Profile Announcement!!!! Icon_minitimeFri Sep 11, 2009 4:22 am

Wanted to know if there was any way I could get the new profiles as well. Want to play around and see what sounds best in my 2001 Impala.
Back to top Go down
ptcfast2

ptcfast2

PostSubject: Re: KD-S100 Profile Announcement!!!!   KD-S100 Profile Announcement!!!! Icon_minitimeSat Sep 12, 2009 5:38 am

I received the profiles in my email a few days ago and was eager to test them out. I am using a 1998 Chevrolet Lumina LTZ with my KD-S100. I have aftermarket speakers installed - SoundStream 5 1/4s in the front and Pioneer Kevlar 6x9s in the rear deck. Both are two-way speakers.

After driving around I have some observations based on my setup:

Var 1 - The music feels "alive" if that's the best way to put it. The highs are crisp, the lows are deep, and the mids are clear and defined. I can turn the volume up to 50 and the music still sounds clear and profound.

Var 2 - The music is more "muddled" and not as defined. The bass is lower, but the highs blend in with the mids and just kind of sucks. I know this was designed to be the aftermarket profile but it didn't work for me. Neutral

Var 3 - If this variation had highs that were a BIT more defined it would be my favorite, but ever if I turn the treble up on the receiver the music still seems a bit off. It probably would sound better with a larger cabin, which is what the profile was designed for anyways.

So, in conclusion, Var 1 is awesome. I compared it to the generic profile and it blew me away. I have a bad habit of showing off to all my friends now. I use a demo song, the intro to Spellbound by Lacuna Coil, and it makes them speechless. I've convinced two to go order the KD-S100 - which they did.

Great work - and if I run into one of you guys from Bongiovi sometime in my life the beer is on me! cheers
Back to top Go down
xaqmusic
Admin
xaqmusic

PostSubject: Re: KD-S100 Profile Announcement!!!!   KD-S100 Profile Announcement!!!! Icon_minitimeSat Sep 12, 2009 2:00 pm

ptcfast2 wrote:

So, in conclusion, Var 1 is awesome. I compared it to the generic profile and it blew me away. I have a bad habit of showing off to all my friends now. I use a demo song, the intro to Spellbound by Lacuna Coil, and it makes them speechless. I've convinced two to go order the KD-S100 - which they did.

Great work - and if I run into one of you guys from Bongiovi sometime in my life the beer is on me! cheers

You better believe it! Very Happy

Glad VAR 01 is working out. We put a lot of time into each one of those profiles and it's really cool to hear how everyone is enjoying them!

As far as the rest of you go, the profiles will be available on the website very shortly! We will be sure to make an announcement as soon as the site is ready.

Thanks again for the great comments...
Joe
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: KD-S100 Profile Announcement!!!!   KD-S100 Profile Announcement!!!! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

KD-S100 Profile Announcement!!!!
Page 1 of 1