Bongiovi Acoustics Legacy Forums
This is our legacy forum! Please visit http://www.dpsinsider.com for current news and discussions. Thanks!
This is our legacy forum! Please visit http://www.dpsinsider.com for current news and discussions. Thanks!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This forum is maintained to preserve the vibrant discussions of the JVC KD-S100

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
The DPS Plug-In for iTunes (mac only) is now available! Visit www.dpsplugin.com for more details...
Thanks for your interest in our forums! We have just launched our new forum page at http://www.dpsinsider.com All new questions and conversations will be routed there. When registering, please be sure to check your junk mail folder for your confirmation email. Thanks! The BA Team

SD Card requirements

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
eglish

SD Card requirements Empty
PostSubject: SD Card requirements   SD Card requirements Icon_minitimeTue Nov 10, 2009 1:21 am

What are the SD Card requirements? I saw Storm's "Quick Initial Review" and he says
Storm wrote:
The SD is even worse, at it only supports FAT16 and that means 512 megabytes!.
Does the unit only support FAT16 for the SD card? Or just 512MB? or both? FAT16's limit is 2GB so I'm not sure about his 512MB limit he's talking about.

I've already tried a 4GB SD Card formatted to FAT32 and the unit never stopped "loading" the files (I gave it 20 minutes to try). Am I wrong to think the SD card requires a different file system than the USB interface? Is there a reason why there's duplicated functions here?
Back to top Go down
genoski

PostSubject: Re: SD Card requirements   SD Card requirements Icon_minitimeWed Nov 11, 2009 3:35 pm

I'm using a 2gb type 2 SD card with no problems. It currently has about 18 albums on it ripped as mp3's which is using about 1gb of the card.

It would be nice if it supported SDHC cards, but I'm content with having several 2gb SD cards stored in the glovebox.
Back to top Go down
xaqmusic
Admin
xaqmusic

PostSubject: Re: SD Card requirements   SD Card requirements Icon_minitimeWed Nov 11, 2009 6:13 pm

genoski wrote:
I'm using a 2gb type 2 SD card with no problems. It currently has about 18 albums on it ripped as mp3's which is using about 1gb of the card.

It would be nice if it supported SDHC cards, but I'm content with having several 2gb SD cards stored in the glovebox.

I do the same myself. I also hook my iPhone up via line in.

Joe
Back to top Go down
http://dpsinsider.com
eglish

PostSubject: Re: SD Card requirements   SD Card requirements Icon_minitimeWed Nov 11, 2009 7:35 pm

So no one knows the requirements? I just got a new SD card and it doesn't work again. If I put it in the card reader and hookup to the USB it does. I've formatted the SD card to 4GB FAT32 4K block size.

I just looked at the specs from the manual it says that the requirements are in fact what storm said. FAT12/16 and 8-512MB.

genoski, can you check out the file system type of your SD card and if the JVC is seeing all 2GB of your card. Thanks.
Back to top Go down
genoski

PostSubject: Re: SD Card requirements   SD Card requirements Icon_minitimeThu Nov 12, 2009 12:15 am

My 2gb cards are RAW file system and the radio see's 1.83GB The S100 will read type 2 SD cards, which peak at 2gb. Any 4GB card would be a Type 4 SDHC, and not be supported.
Back to top Go down
genoski

PostSubject: Re: SD Card requirements   SD Card requirements Icon_minitimeThu Nov 12, 2009 12:23 am

Another thing you have to watch is the hierarchy, it can't be too complex. Initially I had folders for each artist, which contains folders for each album each containing the song files. Too complex for the reader I'm guessing you can't have subfolders.

Also, the naming conventions are pretty slim, keep folder names to 8 characters and file names to 12. As long as the files themselves have the tags for artist, album, and song name, they will still scroll on the display marquee.
Back to top Go down
eglish

PostSubject: Re: SD Card requirements   SD Card requirements Icon_minitimeThu Nov 12, 2009 4:56 am

Thanks for the info, that should help out a lot.
Back to top Go down
zimagold

PostSubject: Re: SD Card requirements   SD Card requirements Icon_minitimeThu Jan 07, 2010 8:36 pm

Just wanted to follow up a bit on this topic. I just installed my unit a couple of days ago and have been experimenting with it. The SD card feature was the main reason I chose this deck over others. Most decks these days offer USB drive support and iPod/iPhone integration, but I preferred the completely hidden nature of the SD card behind the faceplate.

At first, it didn't recognize my FAT32 formatted 1GB OCZ card. Re-formatted to FAT16 and it worked fine.

Next, I tried a 2GB Kingston microSD in SD card adapter. Seemed to work fine, so I started adding more songs and folders. Soon, I realized that additional folders I added were not showing up and couldn't be accessed on the unit. Also, as I seeked out certain tracks, it would throw the Read Error and kick me out of SD mode. So I went back and started deleting files thinking there might be some corrupted files that might be the cause.

Eventually, I erased the whole card and methodically started adding 10 songs at a time in each folder. I would seek to every track in each folder to make sure they played. Eventually, I ran into the Read Error again. I suspected it might be running into a 1GB limit, and sure enough, when I pulled out the card, it was right around 1GB used. My conclusion is that the unit can read a 2GB SD card, but only utilize up to 1GB of files.

On the Crutchfield site, someone mentioned a 255 file limit, but I haven't been able to test that.

Someone above my post says they have the unit seeing 1.83GB. I wonder if all the files can actually be played. What I found is that when you first insert the card, the unit can "see" all the files and folders (the folder/track number which appears briefly). But when you actually try to play the files, it would crash.

I would really love to be proven wrong on my theory. The difference between 1 and 2 gigs is like 12 hours of extra tunes!

I'll try experimenting with the USB port this weekend. There are tiny USB drives that fit almost flush with the USB port, so that's a possible solution if I'm not happy with the SD card. (EagleTec Nano, Lexar ZE). A firmware upgrade to "fix" the SD card slot would be totally awesome.

Cheers,
Back to top Go down
genoski

PostSubject: Re: SD Card requirements   SD Card requirements Icon_minitimeThu Jan 07, 2010 9:15 pm

zimagold wrote:

I would really love to be proven wrong on my theory. The difference between 1 and 2 gigs is like 12 hours of extra tunes!

Cheers,

I do believe your theory is spot on. It will recognize and use a 2gb SD card, but only the first 1gb of it, and I have yet to figure out how it reads the files, because even tho Windows will "see" them alphabetically, the folders don't play that way by the unit. That being said, I still prefer the SD card usage, and at this point have several cards that I keep in the glove box, each loaded with different genres, for what I want to hear that day.
Back to top Go down
zimagold

PostSubject: Re: SD Card requirements   SD Card requirements Icon_minitimeFri Jan 08, 2010 8:25 pm

This morning, I updated the firmware on my old Pentax dSLR camera and it now supports SDHC cards. If there's anything the engineering team can do to make this possible for the KDS100, it would really make it this an incredible head unit.

Unfortunately, it looks like they're ending support for the unit and making it a legacy device. Just got that email saying they will release a bunch of profiles as their "last show of support". I don't even care that much about the profiles....the unit sounds great as it is. Please please please give us SDHC support if at all possible!
Back to top Go down
zimagold

PostSubject: Re: SD Card requirements   SD Card requirements Icon_minitimeSat Jan 09, 2010 10:43 pm

genoski wrote:

and I have yet to figure out how it reads the files, because even tho Windows will "see" them alphabetically, the folders don't play that way by the unit.

The unit plays the files in the order which the files were copied onto the card. When you drag a bunch of files or folders onto the drive from Windows, it copies it in pretty much a random order. You can write your own scripts to force copy in the sequence that you want, or someone did write a freeware tool that does the job. It's called CopyInOrder. Give that a try...I tested it and it works for me. (The program does have some strange behaviors, but you'll figure it out).

Good luck
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: SD Card requirements   SD Card requirements Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

SD Card requirements
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Bongiovi Acoustics Legacy Forums :: JVC KD-S100 Car Audio System-
Jump to: