Bongiovi Acoustics Legacy Forums
This is our legacy forum! Please visit http://www.dpsinsider.com for current news and discussions. Thanks!
This is our legacy forum! Please visit http://www.dpsinsider.com for current news and discussions. Thanks!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This forum is maintained to preserve the vibrant discussions of the JVC KD-S100

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
The DPS Plug-In for iTunes (mac only) is now available! Visit www.dpsplugin.com for more details...
Thanks for your interest in our forums! We have just launched our new forum page at http://www.dpsinsider.com All new questions and conversations will be routed there. When registering, please be sure to check your junk mail folder for your confirmation email. Thanks! The BA Team

Profile Variations Tuning Session 09/04/09

Go down 
+2
awilson40
RCopt
6 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
RCopt
Admin
RCopt

Profile Variations Tuning Session 09/04/09 Empty
PostSubject: Profile Variations Tuning Session 09/04/09   Profile Variations Tuning Session 09/04/09 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 04, 2009 2:19 pm

The tuning session for the first batch of profile variations for the KD-S100 has begun!!! cheers

Today, we will be using the Studio A control room at Avalon Recording Studio for reference. This studio was designed by Tony Bongiovi using the same acoustic treatment as his legendary Powerstation Studio. Our claims that the DPS technology brings recording studio sound quality into your vehicle is not a marketing gimmick. We literally tune our vehicle profiles to reproduce the sound quality of professional recording studios!

I will be updating our progress in this thread, and we will be updating our twitter feed at http://twitter.com/Bongiovi_DPS throughout the day.

Last edited by RCopt on Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:55 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
RCopt
Admin
RCopt

PostSubject: Re: Profile Variations Tuning Session 09/04/09   Profile Variations Tuning Session 09/04/09 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 04, 2009 3:32 pm

Profile Variations Tuning Session 09/04/09 3887457480_c5e1d3f24f
In this photo: (left) Joe Butera, Jr. - Managing Director of Bongiovi Acoustics : (right) Joe Butera III (aka:xaqmusic) - Audio Engineer. Setting up in Avalon Recording Studio's "Studio A".

Henceforth referred to as "The Dirty Foot Duo!" lol!

Last edited by RCopt on Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:38 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
RCopt
Admin
RCopt

PostSubject: Re: Profile Variations Tuning Session 09/04/09   Profile Variations Tuning Session 09/04/09 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 04, 2009 3:35 pm

Profile Variations Tuning Session 09/04/09 3886672919_259c704cfa
The Bongiovi Acoustics Radio Programming Station.
Back to top Go down
awilson40

PostSubject: Re: Profile Variations Tuning Session 09/04/09   Profile Variations Tuning Session 09/04/09 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 04, 2009 5:29 pm

Really cool that you guys are doing this. I just installed this HU in my 1988 Porsche 944 Turbo and
It sounds good . The Porsche has very limited space for speakers and being the Tweak head that I am I'm really looking forward to trying out some new profiles.
Thanks again
Andrew
Back to top Go down
RCopt
Admin
RCopt

PostSubject: Re: Profile Variations Tuning Session 09/04/09   Profile Variations Tuning Session 09/04/09 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 04, 2009 5:36 pm

awilson40 wrote:
Really cool that you guys are doing this. I just installed this HU in my 1988 Porsche 944 Turbo and
It sounds good . The Porsche has very limited space for speakers and being the Tweak head that I am I'm really looking forward to trying out some new profiles.
Thanks again
Andrew

Thanks for the feedback. I'm happy to hear that you're enjoying your KD-S100. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
country_3030

country_3030

PostSubject: Re: Profile Variations Tuning Session 09/04/09   Profile Variations Tuning Session 09/04/09 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 04, 2009 6:00 pm

Thanks for the follow up on the phone earlier. I am very impressed with amount of effort Bongiovi Acoustics is putting into this project. I am very glad I chose the head unit I did.
Back to top Go down
RCopt
Admin
RCopt

PostSubject: Re: Profile Variations Tuning Session 09/04/09   Profile Variations Tuning Session 09/04/09 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 04, 2009 6:27 pm

country_3030 wrote:
Thanks for the follow up on the phone earlier. I am very impressed with amount of effort Bongiovi Acoustics is putting into this project. I am very glad I chose the head unit I did.

Thank you for the feedback. Community involvement and overall customer satisfaction are very important to us.
Back to top Go down
RCopt
Admin
RCopt

PostSubject: Re: Profile Variations Tuning Session 09/04/09   Profile Variations Tuning Session 09/04/09 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 04, 2009 6:38 pm

Profile Variations Tuning Session 09/04/09 Joeysu12
In this picture: Joe Butera III (left) plays a new tuning profile for Robert Summers (aka:summers007) - Director of Information Technology
Back to top Go down
xaqmusic
Admin
xaqmusic

PostSubject: New Profile Availibility   Profile Variations Tuning Session 09/04/09 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 04, 2009 7:43 pm

To everyone keeping tabs on our tuning session today...

alien

We've come up with a few variations on the Universal Profile during this and previous tuning sessions and we want to know what you think! They will be posted in the near future to the website at http://www.bongioviacoustics.com/kds100beta but for those who want them today just send me a private message from this forum with your name and email address and I will be happy to send the new profiles to you. There are three new Variations for cars that have standard speaker configurations (including aftermarket speakers) and two subwoofer specific profiles. More about the new profiles soon...

Joe
Back to top Go down
http://dpsinsider.com
awilson40

PostSubject: Re: Profile Variations Tuning Session 09/04/09   Profile Variations Tuning Session 09/04/09 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 04, 2009 8:49 pm

Outstanding
Thanks for all your work
PM sent
Back to top Go down
xaqmusic
Admin
xaqmusic

PostSubject: Keep the PMs coming...   Profile Variations Tuning Session 09/04/09 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 04, 2009 9:47 pm

I'll be sending out emails with the profiles package for the rest of today only. After that you will have to wait until they are online at the website. @ Give us your thoughts when you get them!
Joe
Back to top Go down
awilson40

PostSubject: Re: Profile Variations Tuning Session 09/04/09   Profile Variations Tuning Session 09/04/09 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 04, 2009 11:15 pm

I just installed DPS VAR 01 and it really did improve the sound in my car.
Seemed to give it more defined bass, less muddy and more powerful also the highs are
not as harsh. I went back and forth between this profile and the original and
it is better.
thanks a lot Guys, I really appreciate your hard work. I look forward to
future revs.
Thanks again
Back to top Go down
country_3030

country_3030

PostSubject: Re: Profile Variations Tuning Session 09/04/09   Profile Variations Tuning Session 09/04/09 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 05, 2009 1:36 am

OK, tested out two profiles.

I first loaded in Var 01 since I have a regular cab truck. It sounded better than the universal profile. The highs were not as harsh and ear piercing. It also seemed to help some with the staging in the truck. With the universal profile it seemed like most the sound was behind me, however, this profile seemed to bring it back up towards the front of the vehicle some. Great profile for bring down the highs and clearing up the mid range but still did little for my subs.

The second profile I tried was Var Sub 02. It was better than the universal profile hands down. It seemed to not sound as good with my subs as Var 01 till I tweaked the crossover on my amp some. Then it was great sounding with the crisper bass from my subs not quite as muddy as before. The highs were still a little high in my opinion, but adjusting the treble helped with this.

I have a question with the sub output and the crossover that the radio has would it be ok to turn the crossover on my amp to full and not low pass? The reason I ask is the lpf adjustment on my amp is an analog knob and seems to be touchy at times. Still want to test Var Sub 01 but need to give my ears a break for a little while. I know you will say turn it down but it just sounds so good. Cool

Thanks in advance for any help and replies.
Back to top Go down
xaqmusic
Admin
xaqmusic

PostSubject: SUB profiles   Profile Variations Tuning Session 09/04/09 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 05, 2009 6:32 pm

country_3030 wrote:
OK, tested out two profiles.
I have a question with the sub output and the crossover that the radio has would it be ok to turn the crossover on my amp to full and not low pass? The reason I ask is the lpf adjustment on my amp is an analog knob and seems to be touchy at times. Still want to test Var Sub 01 but need to give my ears a break for a little while. I know you will say turn it down but it just sounds so good. Cool

Thanks in advance for any help and replies.

I would thing that it will be fine to put your subs on full range. We did our tests with the sub set to 150Hz which is pretty high for a sub. We designed the SUB profiles so that no crossover is required. By decreasing the low frequencies going to the main speakers, much more power is available. We made sure that the low mids are taken care of so that there is no "disconnect" between the sub and your main speakers. The total output of your system should now be much higher! Hope this helps...
Joe

p.s. You just gotta know we crank it when we're driving home Wink
Back to top Go down
country_3030

country_3030

PostSubject: Re: Profile Variations Tuning Session 09/04/09   Profile Variations Tuning Session 09/04/09 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 06, 2009 5:17 am

Tried the amp on full range and it sounded better, however, my remote bass boost does not work with it on full. I like using it since my Sirius has a lot more bass than required. Lets me tone the bass down for satellite radio and back up for cd's. Anyways looks like I will leave the amp on lpf and just turn the crossover up so the head units crossover is below that of the amps.

I would like to thank all the people involved. This is really awesome that you guys are doing all of this. I have never seen a company or group of guys put this much work into a product.
Back to top Go down
country_3030

country_3030

PostSubject: Re: Profile Variations Tuning Session 09/04/09   Profile Variations Tuning Session 09/04/09 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 07, 2009 1:26 am

Today I made a two hour trip to the in laws. I have been happy with this unit up until today. On the way there I was really able to listen to several different types of music. Older rock seemed to be almost spot on in terms of sound, however, the rest seemed to be lacking a lot of mid range and bass. With my old head unit it still had a lot of mid range and bass without the subs on. I hate to bring in the generic EQ profiles as a reference but the system currently sounds more like the generic pop eq profile that was on my older radio. However, I tended to prefer the rock eq profile on my older radio. Anyways, I am not trying to complain too much just wondering if I can do anything to bring the mids and bass back for my 6.5 components in the front. Oddly enough the 4x6s in the b pillars are making it seem like the band is behind me rather than in front or middle of the vehicle. When I try to fade the sound to the front it throws everything off and just is not right. Am I doing something wrong maybe? Question
Back to top Go down
xaqmusic
Admin
xaqmusic

PostSubject: Re: Profile Variations Tuning Session 09/04/09   Profile Variations Tuning Session 09/04/09 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 07, 2009 2:18 am

country_3030 wrote:
Today I made a two hour trip to the in laws. I have been happy with this unit up until today. On the way there I was really able to listen to several different types of music. Older rock seemed to be almost spot on in terms of sound, however, the rest seemed to be lacking a lot of mid range and bass. With my old head unit it still had a lot of mid range and bass without the subs on. I hate to bring in the generic EQ profiles as a reference but the system currently sounds more like the generic pop eq profile that was on my older radio. However, I tended to prefer the rock eq profile on my older radio. Anyways, I am not trying to complain too much just wondering if I can do anything to bring the mids and bass back for my 6.5 components in the front. Oddly enough the 4x6s in the b pillars are making it seem like the band is behind me rather than in front or middle of the vehicle. When I try to fade the sound to the front it throws everything off and just is not right. Am I doing something wrong maybe? Question

Hmmm interesting. Are they aftermarket speakers all around or just in the front? Also, what profile did you have loaded while on the trip? And you have 12s in the back right? scratch
Back to top Go down
country_3030

country_3030

PostSubject: Re: Profile Variations Tuning Session 09/04/09   Profile Variations Tuning Session 09/04/09 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 07, 2009 4:22 am

The front speakers are Sony 6.5 with Pyle Wave tweeters wired in parallel. The rear are bazooka 4x6 . Yes, I have two cadence mallet 12's in the back but have the crossover set to 125hz. The profiles that I have used today are the DPS Var Sub 02 and DPS Var 01. The subs provide plenty of low bass but the other speakers seem to be only producing higher frequencies and not blending with the subs. The issue with the staging being focused to the rear does not bother me as much as the sound just being off. The reason I purchased a new head unit was that my previous one quite playing cd's. However, the previous one sounded fairly good with the speakers I currently have, even though the front and rear are of different brands. I appreciate your help and am willing to try what ever you suggest.
Back to top Go down
country_3030

country_3030

PostSubject: Re: Profile Variations Tuning Session 09/04/09   Profile Variations Tuning Session 09/04/09 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 07, 2009 4:39 am

I realize the Sony speakers don't have any good reviews but they were in the truck when it was purchased. They stayed because they actually sounded pretty good with the previous head unit. Later I added the tweeters wired in parallel and mounted next to the mirrors to bring the staging up a little. It all worked out fairly well and sounded amazingly good for what it was.

The reason for this post I to try to minimize laughing at my setup.
Back to top Go down
country_3030

country_3030

PostSubject: Re: Profile Variations Tuning Session 09/04/09   Profile Variations Tuning Session 09/04/09 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 07, 2009 6:05 am

I think I have officially hijacked this thread, Sorry.

I am now satisfied with the sound of my system and am confused as to why??? Question The only profile I had not tried was DPS Var 03. Being as desperate as I was to get my system to sound good I tried this profile. The difference was night and day for me. It sounds freaking awesome compared what it did on the trip with Var 01 and Sub 02. Now explain to me how a profile for a large vehicle sounds best out of all the profiles in my regular cab truck?
Back to top Go down
xaqmusic
Admin
xaqmusic

PostSubject: Universal   Profile Variations Tuning Session 09/04/09 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 07, 2009 11:17 am

country_3030 wrote:
I think I have officially hijacked this thread, Sorry.

I am now satisfied with the sound of my system and am confused as to why??? Question The only profile I had not tried was DPS Var 03. Being as desperate as I was to get my system to sound good I tried this profile. The difference was night and day for me. It sounds freaking awesome compared what it did on the trip with Var 01 and Sub 02. Now explain to me how a profile for a large vehicle sounds best out of all the profiles in my regular cab truck?

Awesome!

And you've made a point better than I ever could!

The whole idea with the Universal Profiles is that ANY one of them should work. Music is very subjective and it is our goal with this program to cover a wide range of situations. I'm really glad VAR 03 is working out! VAR 03 is one that I created on Friday during our live tuning session. I had larger vehicles in mind but I also wanted to address systems with loud tweeters in that profile.

The biggest factor in your system's complexity is the aftermarket speakers. Every speaker model out there has vastly different characteristics and this, coupled with your vehicle's interior acoustics and road noise, changes how the DPS interacts with your system. No speaker is "perfect" so it doesn't matter what the brand or price point is. If you like it, then its good!

Arrow I suppose the point really is that the descriptions included in the readme are just "guidelines". If you aren't quite satisfied with your sound yet, try another!

Keep up the good posts 'yall!
Joe
Back to top Go down
ptcfast2

ptcfast2

PostSubject: Re: Profile Variations Tuning Session 09/04/09   Profile Variations Tuning Session 09/04/09 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 07, 2009 2:28 pm

So when are these new profiles going to be released? I can't wait to try them out! bounce
Back to top Go down
country_3030

country_3030

PostSubject: Re: Profile Variations Tuning Session 09/04/09   Profile Variations Tuning Session 09/04/09 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 07, 2009 7:37 pm

I think a good part of it was the that I have loud tweeters. They were drowning out all the other parts of the music.
Back to top Go down
awilson40

PostSubject: Re: Profile Variations Tuning Session 09/04/09   Profile Variations Tuning Session 09/04/09 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 07, 2009 8:08 pm

Well
Your review of Var03 made me want to try it out in my car.
I think I like it better also.
The real test will be on the road. My car had tons of tire noise (I'll be glad when
the potenz's need replacing)
Back to top Go down
country_3030

country_3030

PostSubject: Re: Profile Variations Tuning Session 09/04/09   Profile Variations Tuning Session 09/04/09 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 08, 2009 3:36 am

Var 03 is by far the best in my truck. The only thing that is off sound wise is the staging, however, I don't think that much can be done about it easily.

awilson40: Good Luck with finding the right on for you. Took me several days to get the right variation and my amp tuned to where it all meshed together nicely.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Profile Variations Tuning Session 09/04/09   Profile Variations Tuning Session 09/04/09 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Profile Variations Tuning Session 09/04/09
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next