Bongiovi Acoustics Legacy Forums
This is our legacy forum! Please visit http://www.dpsinsider.com for current news and discussions. Thanks!
This is our legacy forum! Please visit http://www.dpsinsider.com for current news and discussions. Thanks!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This forum is maintained to preserve the vibrant discussions of the JVC KD-S100

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
The DPS Plug-In for iTunes (mac only) is now available! Visit www.dpsplugin.com for more details...
Thanks for your interest in our forums! We have just launched our new forum page at http://www.dpsinsider.com All new questions and conversations will be routed there. When registering, please be sure to check your junk mail folder for your confirmation email. Thanks! The BA Team

Profile Variations Tuning Session 09/04/09

Go down 
+2
awilson40
RCopt
6 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
RCopt
Admin
RCopt

Profile Variations Tuning Session 09/04/09 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Profile Variations Tuning Session 09/04/09   Profile Variations Tuning Session 09/04/09 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 08, 2009 4:22 pm

Thank you all for the feedback on the new variations. As xaqmusic stated, we really want to encourage you to play with all of the profiles regardless of their labeling to find what works best.

@country_3030: I'm very pleased to hear that Var 03 is working out for you!! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
country_3030

country_3030

PostSubject: Re: Profile Variations Tuning Session 09/04/09   Profile Variations Tuning Session 09/04/09 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 08, 2009 6:09 pm

Is there a way in your tuning of profiles to move the staging towards the front more? I know this is capable with some head units by changing the timing of the front or rear speakers.

Thank You
Back to top Go down
xaqmusic
Admin
xaqmusic

PostSubject: Re: Profile Variations Tuning Session 09/04/09   Profile Variations Tuning Session 09/04/09 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 08, 2009 8:49 pm

country_3030 wrote:
Is there a way in your tuning of profiles to move the staging towards the front more? I know this is capable with some head units by changing the timing of the front or rear speakers.

Thank You

If you can control the level of your tweeters I would say to turn them down and balance a little toward the front speakers. Your rear speakers must be more efficient thus generating more midrange frequencies (the ones we hear as the loudest) and putting the bulk of the music behind you.

I'm not a fan of using delays for staging in car audio. The acoustic anomalies that occur in a space as small as a car tend to negate the principle of using delays to place the sound stage. Delays have always made things sound worse to my ears.

The Sony speakers you have up front might also have a different impedance than those in the rear. Another thing to check is that the polarity is correct for all four speakers (positive wire is connected to the positive terminal on the speaker), the amps and subs. If one speaker's wires are reversed, the phase cancellations could cause the effect your are hearing.

I'm sure we'll figure out a way to get it perfect! Cool

Joe
Back to top Go down
http://dpsinsider.com
country_3030

country_3030

PostSubject: Re: Profile Variations Tuning Session 09/04/09   Profile Variations Tuning Session 09/04/09 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 08, 2009 11:09 pm

My tweeters are not adjustable but I may try to find some different 6.5" for the front.
Back to top Go down
rob
Admin
rob

PostSubject: Re: Profile Variations Tuning Session 09/04/09   Profile Variations Tuning Session 09/04/09 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 09, 2009 7:34 pm

country_3030 wrote:
My tweeters are not adjustable but I may try to find some different 6.5" for the front.

An easy quick fix if your tweeters are overbearing and mis-aligning your desired sound staging is to make a "defraction lens" for the tweeter. (I think you mentioned Pyle tweeters in an earlier post, my experience with them is they tend to be a bit focused in certain frequencies...)

Nevertheless, if you have a 1" or 2" tweeter, you can cut a circular piece of plastic, and mount it directly on or above the face of the tweeter's grill cover. (Preferably if you can manage to devise a mounting device to have the plastic raised approx 1/8" above the tweeter this will work best. If you have a grill over the tweeter, attaching directly to the grill work too however you may have to experiment with the diameter of the plastic to achieve the desired effect.)

What you are basically doing is using the plastic as a defraction lens to disperse the focused high frequency output of the tweeter to a more evenly manner thus making the "sound staging" more smooth directionally. The result is a larger sweet spot in the vehicle in regard to the sound stage.

Keep in mind this solution is being posted here specifically for Country_3030's specific situation and would not necessarily be appropriate for any other situation. Especially not necessary for OEM factory designed speaker systems.

Counry_3030 let me know if this solution works for you...

Rob cyclops
Back to top Go down
country_3030

country_3030

PostSubject: Re: Profile Variations Tuning Session 09/04/09   Profile Variations Tuning Session 09/04/09 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 10, 2009 12:49 am

Rob: thanks for the reply

I think what I am going to do is to ditch the sony's and the pyle tweeters and get a good matching component set with a good crossover. Thanks for all the replies and help. I just think it would be better to start with good equipment than to struggle with cheaper stuff I have. The stuff I currently have was pieced together in my broke college days. lol!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Profile Variations Tuning Session 09/04/09   Profile Variations Tuning Session 09/04/09 - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Profile Variations Tuning Session 09/04/09
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2